The Code Builders dockable window contains separate code builders, one under each tab. Using the builders is the fastest way to get the most commonly used code:
- Functions, Sub and class Properties
- Control statements: If, Select, For, While, Until
- Add new variables and insert existing variable Names
Use of the Builders is simple. If you use the tricks below you can perform even faster with them.
Docking the window
When you use Code VBA the first time you have to dock the Code Builders windows. A good place to put it is on the right side of the code pane.
To open the Code Expolorer dockable window:
|Alt-CTB | Menu: Code VBA » Tools » Code Builders|
Shortcut keys for fast access to the builders
By using Shortcut keys you can keep your hands on the keyboard and don't have to use the mouse. All the shortcut keys start with Ctrl-Shift and a mnemonic key:
- Ctrl-Shift-S: Sub Procedure Builder
- Ctrl-Shift-F: Function Procedure Builder
- Ctrl-Shift-P: Property Builder
- Ctrl-Shift-V: Variable Builder
- Ctrl-Shift-C: Constant Builder
- Ctrl-Shift-N: Name Inserter (variables, constants)
- Ctrl-Shift-E: Code Explorer
Tricks for the Code Builders
- Instead of clicking the [Insert] button, you can also insert by double-click or press [Enter] on a selected list item
- Navigate between controls on the Code Builder using [Tab] - forward and Shift-[Tab] - backward.
- Check or uncheck selected checkbox using spacebar.
- Move to select another item in the listbox using up- and down-arrows, PgUp/PgDn or the first character of the item (type) you want to select.